We have taken to making soup every other Friday -- alternating with pizza on the other Fridays. And this week, I made Sweet Potato, Jalapeno, and Corn soup.
4 strips of bacon, chopped
1 large onion chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
2 medium sweet potatoes
4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
pickled jalapeno rings
1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tsp. Thai chili garlic paste
coarse ground black pepper
1. Roast sweet potatoes -- approximately 1 hour in 375 degree over.
2. When potatoes are done, scoop flesh from the skins, place in soup pot and add stock. Stir to combine well. Mixture should be a little lumpy but well blended. Simmer on medium heat.
3. Brown chopped bacon until it is nicely crisp. Remove from pan and then lightly saute onions and garlic.
4. Add onions, garlic, and bacon to sweet potato stock mixture and stir.
5. Stir in chili garlic paste, salt and pepper.
6. Add jalapeno slices and corn. Stir. Taste for seasoning. Add salt if needed. If the soup is to thick, add a bit of cream or water to desired consistency.
Serve with good bread.